Friday, April 7, 2017

The Boar from the Crack Dream: BLOG 1 NF 4/7/17

 The Boar from the Crack Dream 
(Blog 1 NF 4/7/17)

I visited the old apartment where I spent 18 years of my childhood. It has been years since I last visited. I do not remember the reason for the visit, but I do know that the last thing I expected was to see a young woman hung herself in my old apartment. I overhear that she is a young flutist. I feel chills in my spine and horrified. I hurry back home. I feel safe as I see my front yard with beautiful flowers. I am happy that I got out of that horrifying place. I try to erase the scene I saw – the pale dead body of a young woman. As I am looking around the house, I notice that there is a crack on the wall. I feel immediately irritated. As I get closer to the wall, I notice that there is something sticking out of the wall. It looks like a mouse-tail. I almost panic thinking that there must be a dead mouse behind the wall. Suddenly, the wall starts rumbling. In a few seconds, a big scary looking boar is coming out of the wall. It starts chasing after me aggressively. I feel so scared and helpless. I do not know how they got there, but I see my mom and some of my old friends in my house. I feel desperate that I hope they would do something to help me. However, they are just standing there watching me running for my life. (The end)

It is nothing unusual that I wake up from irritating nightmares. These nightmares affect my mood all day long if not for days. I usually try very hard to just shake off the unsettling feelings after these dreams. However, this time I try to understand what the narrative of the unconscious is.

I realize that somewhere in my unconscious mind I am still very much afraid of revisiting my childhood. The unconscious must feel that it would be as horrifying as seeing a dead woman hanging in my old place. I find it interesting though that the woman is a flutist. Maybe the woman is me, my old self (I used to be a musician). Maybe I want my old self to be dead in my past.

My current home symbolizes a safe place where everything is peaceful and beautiful. But somewhere in my mind, I cannot truly enjoy or accept this blessing - the serenity of my life. I look around the house “to find a crack on the wall.” This represents my deep cynicism that I do not deserve this happiness. I always fear that this peacefulness will suddenly turn into chaos and I will lose everything again. The wall symbolizes the protection I want or I have built. It divides from the dangerous world or a destructive self. The crack represents any minor flaws that I notice. When I see anything imperfect, even a small crack, I immediately feel threatened as I can already vividly picture the whole house collapsing down on me. As I expected, behind the wall (where I have no control over) there was a dangerous boar that can consume me in the blink of an eye. According to Smith-Marder (1997), wild boars represent the killing and devouring side of the mother-archetype in the mythologies of Kali in India and Nut in Egypt. In addition, Smith-Marder (1997) argues that “men and women must both content with the force of the Negative Mother in their psyches; one does not need to give birth to be familiar with the inner devouring mother. The wild boar can represent hostile feelings toward younger people in our care as well as toward people who consult with us professionally. This animal can also represent a destructive attitude toward new internal development.”

Does the boar that tried to consume me represent the (potential) threat that I fear deep in my mind - the threat that can destroy all my efforts to have built a new life with my beautiful family and steps towards my new career path?
It is also interesting that in my dream I did not call for help when I was in danger. Even when I was clearly in a situation where I could not manage to save myself, I did not ask for help. I was just hoping that they would come to help me. I never knew I would want to be rescued…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ascent Place Inside the Wall

After running away from all for days and nights for years,
Crossing the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean,
Feeling sound and safe away from all,
Why did I secretly travel back to the ascent place that I convinced myself to be gone?
To see my pale body hanging from the ceiling?
To ensure that all is dead?
Did I know that everything I wanted dead has always been just an inch behind my wall?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference:

Smith-Marder, P. (1997). The Pig as archetype. Psychological Perspectives, 35(1), 110-119.

NF

No comments:

Post a Comment