Friday, April 21, 2017

Purple... Spectrum...: BLOG 3 NF 4/21/17

Purple… Spectrum…

(Lake Natron in Tanzania) 
This photo of Lake Natron completely blew my mind. The minute I saw it, I felt an inexplicable energy, fear and freedom all at the same time. Lake Natron is known to be blood red, very salty and very hot. Yet, there are some animals living around it. When animals die, they turn into stone, as the soda and salt in the water calcifies the creatures, and – as they dry – it perfectly preserves them. 

Lake Natron
    

The blood red water, the blue sky, the deep and dark purple horizontal line, and these ghostly dead animals fascinate me…

I have always loved purple. If I make unconscious decisions, almost everything I pick is purple. I never really thought about the reason. I guess I just loved the mysterious aspect of the color – a combination of red and blue, splashy, yet deep and dark. 

In The Book of Symbols, I found that beyond kingly splendor, much of the symbolic meaning of the color purple comes from the fact that it unites opposites. Purple can stand for the red of passion being balanced by the blue of reason, or the ideal balanced by the real, or love by wisdom, heaven by earth, or psychologically, for the union of opposing energies within an individual.

This interpretation of purple explains a lot of things in my life – my change of career path, my marriage, my child, my inner struggle, my semi-obsession (right, semi!) with controlling and balancing my life. As a child, I noticed a lot of expectations from my parents and teachers. I tried my best to satisfy everyone and their expectations without rationally evaluating the expectations I was held up to. I was very hardworking and competitive, eager to please everyone. Then, for various reasons, I’ve changed during late adolescence and emerging adulthood. I can blame some traumatic events I experienced, but I also went through psychological difficulties for almost fifteen years. When I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, my life had already plunged into a dark and deep despair, and I did not know how to revive my life in me. The blue sky that I saw as a child had completely disappeared. There was so much pain and anger alternating with uncontrollable passion and energy: a typical bipolar condition. I managed to stay in school, but while fighting the disorder, I almost lost everything that I dreamed of. One thing I learned for sure was to not let anyone make decisions for me. This was a kind of fantasy when all I could see was the white walls that locked me up and utterly unfriendly doctors and psychologists who would arrogantly judge my life based on (back then) DSM-IV.

I am lucky that I got a second chance to rebuild my life. I met my husband who tried all his best to open my eyes to see the blue sky, hopes and a future. Ten years of friendship and marriage made me realize the possibility of coexistence of the endless horizontal lines of blue and red. They coexist in parallels. But my visual illusion (spiritual vision) creates the beautiful purple, the combination of blue and red. My purple is in a spectrum. It never makes the perfect purple; depending on how blue and red are mixed. But I know that I have made peace with my life where I see the purple...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see you
I see you where you lead me
To the west
Once I was told one day I would meet all my ancestors in the west
That is to where you are leading me
Where the blue meets the red
Where the day meets the night
Before falling into the deepest serenity
All the noises in the world will turn into stones in the Lake Natron
All the unspoken words will evaporate into the purple horizontal

Where I find you

NF

No comments:

Post a Comment