Friday, April 28, 2017

Built it anyway...BLOG 4 KC 4/28/17



I spent 8 months carefully building my sand mandala as a University Senate Staffer in preparation to seamlessly take on the University Senator position during the 2017-2018 academic school year at Columbia University’s Student Senate. After placing my name on the ballot and being uncontested for that position up until the deadline for self-nominations, another colleague of mine was unconstitutionally added to the ballot mere hours before the election was to take place—days after the self-nomination deadline in order to be included on the ballot as per TC’s Student Senate Constitution and Bylaws. 



Last Friday, that same colleague was unconstitutionally elected to my position as University Senator. I have been beside myself in grief for the betrayal, not by the senator that took my position, but by the executive leadership that made the entire senate body participate in a sham election. I had so much faith in the transparency of the process I was quite idealistic and projected an overly optimistic trust that the leadership would be ethical and adhere to the constitution; because of how much preparation and commitment I had to take on this role and how much I was advocating for student in the past year, I didn’t stop to even contemplate or consider that impropriety during the election was even a possibility.

I have been in a state of numbness and shock for exactly one week now. When I see how the sand mandala gets swept away so effortlessly, despite all the effort it took to create it, it makes me feel validated and encouraged to strive to better incorporate the second factor of The Noble Eightfold—Samma Sankappa, or the Right Intention in all that I do in life to help attenuate or stave off wholly avoidable and unnecessary suffering and mental anguish.



I am thankful for the perspective offered by our class guest speaker because I had, for the most part, identified mandalas with destruction. After our enlightening lecture, I now have a fresh new lens to see mandalas in places that I wouldn’t have readily captured them.




For example, in this Zoroastrian symbol depicting Good Thoughts, Good Deeds, Good Words as a way to preserve happiness and help prevent chaos in life. I can now see the mandala(s) in this ancient symbol of the oldest recorded monotheistic religion and I can appreciate the timelessness of this symbol; it now holds an entirely new meaning for me and I don’t feel so devastated, betrayed or hopeless, but rather a profound sense of agency about taking the reins of my own destiny in my hands to create a fulfilling life in all that I endeavor by being mindful to setting the right intention and adhering to the lessons contained in the aforementioned ancient wisdom going forward in life.


Written on the wall in Mother Teresa's home for children in Calcutta:
              People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.
            If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.
            If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.
           If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.
            What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.
            If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.
            The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.
         Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.
         In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.
-this version is credited to Mother Teresa

K.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment