Friday, April 7, 2017

Coffee: BLOG 1 DW 4/7/17



I’ve started drinking coffee (black hot coffee) daily about three months ago, and I’ve been addicted to it like crazy. By starting to take a closer look at my daily life routines, coffee stood out to me the most, especially during these past few weeks, filled with assignments and sleepless nights. While I’m drinking coffee, I usually find myself deep in thoughts, thinking about life. Its bitter taste and rich aroma just evoke something inside of me, while calming me down. I know for a fact that I am addicted to it because I like it, not because it keeps me awake. I can drink a lot of coffee and still be able to sleep. I think the effect it has on me is probably more on the psychological side as I like to believe that it keeps me up when in fact it doesn’t. Metaphorically, coffee is my life in a cup. I like to use the pour-over style to make my coffee because it’s fun but at the same time, I feel that this style takes a bit more time than using a regular coffee machine. Even before getting to the brewing part, looking for the pour-over coffee maker takes more time for me than getting a normal coffee machine. It’s true that I can buy everything online, but I get pretty impatient when it comes to something I really want, which makes me want to get it right away. I remembered that it was late at night when the idea of wanting a pour-over coffee maker popped into my head, and most of the stores were about to close. While panicking, I quickly searched for it and it turned out that the uptown Bed, Bath, and Beyond has it. Since I was downtown during that time, I had to rush over there, which I did and was able to get my hands on it. When I got back home, I was so excited to try it out only to realize that I forgot to buy the coffee filter and the ground coffee, so I decided to wait until the next day as most of the stores were closed, and I was tired. 

Going back to when I mentioned that I think about life a lot while drinking coffee, to me, life itself is like coffee in a cup. The most critical thing that I found in relation to this coffee maker incident is that life is a process that can’t be rushed. If I had gone the next day with a proper plan rather than acting on an impulse, I might have gotten the full set and be able to enjoy the coffee without any problem. To emphasize more about patience, comparing to making coffee with a coffee machine, pour-over style involves a longer process as you have to boil the water, fill the coffee filter with ground coffee, then add the boiled water, and wait for the coffee to be ready. In a nutshell, this is like life; you have to be a little patient with it because nothing worthwhile comes easy or cheap, but you’ll eventually get there. You’ll stumble, you’ll fall, but that’s part of the whole process. To me, the bitterness of coffee can have a straightforward meaning in relation to life that life can be bitter at times. However, the bitterness never lasts long because eventually, you’ll finish drinking or while drinking, you can just add sweetness to it by putting in milk and sugar if you feel that it's too bitter for you. In other words, life is what you make of it and the cup is a container like your body, indicating that this is your body and you have the full control over it just like you’re able to determine how rich you want your coffee to be, depending on the amount of coffee you add.

You’re bitter, you’re hot, and you’re cold,
You have the deepest and darkest color one can ever know,
When I pour you down, I can smell the rich aroma coming out of you,
You’re my friend during the sleepless nights,
And you remind me of life,
That I have to be patient but also shows me that nothing comes without a fight,
So thank you, dear coffee.

DW




No comments:

Post a Comment