Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Nightmare: Invitation, Disorder, Transformation - BLOG 5 NF 05/04/17

The Nightmare: Invitation, Disorder, Transformation
(Henry Fuseli, The Nightmare, 1781)
The woman’s slightly transparent white dress strongly contrasts the dark background. The position of her arms and neck seems to almost fall off the bed. She looks unstable and vulnerable. On her stomach, an incubus is sitting, facing front with his big eyes. His weight presses on the woman, suffocating her. A dark horse is peeking from behind the curtain in the background. This painting gives me the impression of invasion and violation. Clearly, the incubus and the dark horse do not belong in her bedroom. They are self-imposed guests in the deep dark night. However, her dropped arms and hair, her slightly opened mouth and rosy cheeks make me wonder if she is experiencing ecstasy.

Again, I woke up from another nightmare. A gigantic snake tightly wraps my entire body, suffocating me. It doesn’t look like the snake has any intensions to kill me. It is just suffocating me, watching me lose my breath and slowly become unconscious. It is just impossible for me to even try to escape.

Dealing with my “nightmare hangover”, I looked up snake in The Book of Symbols: “The snake has always conveyed power over life and death, making it a form of the ancestral spirit, guide to the Land of the Dead and mediator of hidden processes of transformation and return.” Its interpretation of symbol somewhat lifted my spirit.

This week I could not get one image out of my mind: a dead womb where life can no longer grow or survive. After the snake nightmare, I have performed a kind of ceremony of releasing the dead in me. It was a ceremony of the dead. I realized why we need funerals. It is a ceremony of releasing unbearable pain and the dead so that they would not be buried in my mind but be unchained from my unconscious obsession. Saying a proper good-bye is an important exercise in life.
I did not call you
But you found me
You found your way to reach me
I did not hear you
But you called me through the crack
I tried to ignore you
But you did not go away
I followed you
You led me to the west where I met the dead
Now I unchain them
It’s our funeral day
I gently lay them down in my tears
Shalom…







No comments:

Post a Comment